There’s been an increasing number of requests for the appointment of a second Special Counsel to investigate FISA abuse, the Clinton Email Investigation, the Trump-Russia Investigation, the activities of the FBI & DOJ – and the involvement of the Obama Administration.
Lee Zeldin and twelve other Congressmen did so on February 28, 2018:
Just sent letter asking @jeffsessions to appoint Special Counsel to investigate decisions/activities re FISA abuse, & how/why Clinton probe ended, & Trump-Russia probe began. TY to @Jim_Jordan, @RepRooney @RepTedBudd @RepMattGaetz @RepMarkMeadows @replouiegohmert & other signers! pic.twitter.com/L8IYuVlKMI
— Lee Zeldin (@RepLeeZeldin) February 28, 2018
More Congressmen have joined:
Signers of my letter last week calling for a Special Counsel: Jordan/F. Rooney/Tenney/Budd/Gaetz/Gohmert/Gosar/Meadows/Hice/Perry/Harris/Brat. Others who’ve joined the call: Goodlatte/Gowdy/King/Ratcliffe/Desantis. RT if you support our call for transparency & accountability!
— Lee Zeldin (@RepLeeZeldin) March 7, 2018
Most notably, Bob Goodlatte, Chairman of the House Judiciary and Trey Gowdy, Chairman of House Oversight, who sent a joint letter on March 6, 2018, to AG Sessions and Deputy AG Rosenstein:
I think the appointment of a second Special Counsel was the plan all along.
But the case for a Special Counsel appointment had to be fully made first.
Which is exactly what Inspector General Horowitz has been doing.
The Inspector General’s Investigation has been proceeding for over a year. We are moving close to the release of his report.
As I’ve stated before, the Inspector General has no prosecutorial authority.
But the Inspector General can make referrals for prosecution.
In an earlier post I noted the following:
On December 1, 2017, Judge Contreras presided over a hearing where Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his contacts with Russia.
Here is what occurred between the two dates in the Flynn Case:
- December 2 2017 – Washington Post reveals existence of incriminating messages between Peter Strzok revealing anti-Trump biases.
- December 4 2017 – CNN reveals Strzok changed wording of Clinton investigation to avoid criminal charges.
- December 6 2017 – DOJ executive Bruce Ohr demoted after revelations he secretly met with Fusion GPS, which had secretly employed his wife Nellie.
- December 7 2017 – Fox News reveals DOJ’s Bruce Ohr was in contact with Fusion GPS at the same time the FISA application was submitted and granted.
- December 7 2017 – Rep. Jim Jordan grills FBI director Wray about the FBI’s use of the Steele Dossier to secure FISA warrant. Demands to see FISA Application material. The Jordan/Wray exchange occurred in the morning. Judge Contreras was recused late that afternoon.
The floodgates of information opened the day after Flynn plead guilty.
This information – along with all the subsequent discoveries – originated from the Inspector General’s Investigation. All of it.
All of the evidence that’s surfaced has come – in one form or another – from the Inspector General and his investigative team.
The Inspector General spent most of 2017 gathering evidence.
Starting in December 2017, the Inspector General began to disseminate that evidence.
A public case-building had begun. Now it’s almost complete.
Inspector General Horowitz was the one building the case.
The calls for a second Special Counsel are not going to abate or diminish. They are going to grow.
It’s becoming inevitable. A second Special Counsel is going to be appointed.
It’s simply a matter of when.
newer post Tariffs as a Tool Towards Broader Free Trade